I know there are many sweet pepper species out there but for this recipe I’m focusing on the bell of the peppers. Sweet peppers come in all variation not just green & red but yellow, orange and even purple bell peppers have become more common.
Green peppers are less sweet and slightly bitter than yellow or orange peppers, while the purple is considered a mild, sweet flavor and simply stunning in color but are only available in certain regions.
Did you know red bell peppers are ripened green peppers? Red bell peppers are considered the sweetest of the bell family and will always remain mama’s preferred bell. I sometimes eat them uncooked as a snack. If you love peppers as much as I do, or just looking to try something different see the below recipe.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 pkg cheddar cheese
- 1 pkg. tortillas
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Over medium high heat. Add the onions, sliced peppers, zucchini (about 1/2inch thick), add salt & pepper.
- Cook until vegetables are soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Wrap tortillas in alumina foil, and place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Assemble tortillas by with vegetables, cheese and top with sour cream.